Saturday 6 September 2008

Ambulance Adventures

Today was quite an adventure. Since it's the weekend, we planned a trip up to Port Douglas and Mossman Gorge... Only in the morning Littletree had an accident.

She was playing with some friends, a bit rough and tumble, and fell headfirst down a full flight of stairs - about 2.5M onto her head. Lush (the gorgeous woman formerly known as Rapunzel),  picked Littletree up and her eyes were rolling back in her head, but she came to and started crying like a normal kid.

I held her, she was sweating and screaming for a while, and she seemed okay, but then she fell asleep. It was hard to wake her up, and then she was moaning that her tummy ached. She vomited and then passed out again, all floppy and unresponsive.

We got worried, but I didn't want to rush off to the hospital, so Lush called a healthcare hotline. Given that Littletree was vomiting, going in and out of consciousness, and had bruising around her eyes, they called an ambulance on our behalf.

Having an ambulance come was pretty scary, well, I got frightened. Though they were only coming to check on Littletree and see if she was alright.

Of course, when the paramedics came in, they checked Littletree and said we need to take her into the hospital. I tried not to cry, carrying my little girl into an ambulance.

She woke up a bit on the ride, just in time to vomit again all over me. The triage went quickly and we were brought in to a bed to await the doctor. By the time the doctor came, Littletree was recovering, seemed mostly okay. The doctor said she had a bad concussion, but should be fine.

They kept us for observation for a couple of hours; Littletree was given a popsicle made of re-hydration salts which perked her up a bit, and she spent a while playing with the electronic bed controls.

04 sequoiaEventually we were released with instructions to keep an eye on Littletree and make sure she doesn't get any more signs of head injury.

Since I hadn't even had breakfast yet, Lush went to get us a luscious picnic lunch from a fantastic organic cafe, and we sat under a shady tree by the sea to eat it. After lunch we decided to go to a nice gelateria and have ice cream. YUM!

Phew; what a long day! I'm glad Littletree is fine... but the worst part: in all the stress of going to the hospital, I didn't take my camera, so I didn't take any pictures. So here's a really gorgeous one of Littletree from last week.

 

16 comments:

  1. holy cow that sounded scarey!

    hope she is feeling ok now... And that things are calming down after the ambulance run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a scarey day!
    I hope littletree is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I would've been freaking out. Hugs to you and Littletree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got all tense & scared just reading about your day. How terrifying. I'm so very, very relieved to hear LT is ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word...I am so glad she is okay! How precious life is.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how scary!!! I'm glad that she's doing ok now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, how frightening. I am glad that she is ok.

    The photo from last week, she looks adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful picture of Littletree. I'm so relieved she's alright. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry. Hope she will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, give Littletree a kiss on her beautiful head from me. I hope she is well and I hope you are more calm now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How scary for all of you. Hope she's feeling much better now & that her heading isn't aching on her.

    And on a completely different topic - I think I can see the effect of the henna in her hair more clearly now than in the picture you had just after you did it - it looks so much darker in that picture than in some of the earlier shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how scary!!! I'm glad she's okay! I've been reading your articles lately and love them! I appreciate you writing them and the way that your thoughts on parenting make so much sense! I can tell that all of the struggles my 2-year-old and I have are not related at all to what she does, but to how I (and others) react to it. Thank you for helping us to have more peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear she is okay! Head injuries are the worst! I can vouch for that one! Big hugs and smoochies all round!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGoodness! I'm so glad she is okay. What a scary situation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ((((hugs)))) to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad to hear she's okay- I'm sure that was quite scary indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely words, witty banter and entertaining discussion :)