Monday 27 August 2012

Faerie Mischief

I’m sorry to admit that Littletree has picked up some terrible habits from me. I know, I know! I should have known better than to give her such bad examples; I should have known that she would see me and want to copy.

But I was weak, and I let her see me… baking. Oh the shame! And it wasn’t just once or twice… I made cakes and muffins and cookies and puddings and pies; but I didn’t stop there! Oh no! The horror of it is that I even let Littletree help me some times.

Imagine my dismay to come into the kitchen to find her standing at the oven with a measuring cup and whisk in her hands! I rushed in to stop her, but it was too late… chocolate and butter were already melting on the stove, eggs were cracked, flour sifted.

What could I do? I figured, if she’s going to start experimenting with baking, she should at least do it with me, here in the home, where I can supervise her and answer her questions. Far better that way than to have her out in the streets, trying cakes from unknown bakeries – those places are nefarious with their free samples of sugar-coated pastries that get you hooked.

So I helped her make brownies. Don’t judge! I know there’s a lot of evidence to show brownies are a gateway cake that just leads to gateaux and tortes, but I think we can keep this under control.

20120826_155538

And she seems so happy in the kitchen. MMMMM brownies!

20120826_164712

Since we’ve been having trouble with pesky pixies lately hiding things about the house, and inspired by The Spiderwick Chronicles, Lady Demelza suggested we make a tea party for the faeries and give them sweet offerings of brownies and other delectable treats.

Littletree loved the idea and set about making a beautiful table setting out in the faerie garden

20120826_165842

We made cute little offerings around the garden of brownies for the brownies and honey on crackers for the pixies

20120826_165223

And then enjoyed a most luscious afternoon tea – brownies, fairy juice (elderflower cordial), fruit tea, ginger beer, cheese and crackers

20120826_165853

Hopefully that will restore some order to the house, so we can get back to baking!

3 comments:

  1. I support full comprehensive baking education. Kids are going to experiment so it's better to be safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The least you could do is give your faeries a nice place to live. Then perhaps they'll stay out of your kitchen? :o) http://www.plowhearth.com/elf-door-and-windows-tree-decorations_p415788.html {these go on a tree}

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely words, witty banter and entertaining discussion :)